Meet the musician: Lola Islamova
1. When did you start playing your instrument?
When I was 5.
2. Who is your biggest musical inspiration?
I am secretly in love with Yuja Wang! I can name a few other incredible female artists that are like a breath of fresh air in a stuffy classical music world.
3. Who is your favourite composer?
J.S. Bach without any doubt
4. If you had to choose only 1 piece to listen to for the rest of your life, what piece would it be?
Wagner, The Ring Cycle
5. If you weren’t a musician, what would you be?
I work in digital marketing. Music is a hobby for me. I see myself as a classical music enthusiast.
6. What are some of your non-music related pastimes/hobbies?
I am an avid art gallery goer, I am very big on art criticism. I enjoy reading/writing on contemporary art in particular.
7. What is your life motto?
Every time you make love, do it like it is your very last time, give it all you’ve got, then you will have less regrets in life.
8. What advice would you give your younger self?
Love yourself more.
9. What piece/song can you not stand?
Can’t think of any. But when it comes to playing, I am not a huge fan of a period performance.
10. What is your pre-concert routine?
It is important for me to get into the right state of mind before going on stage. I listen to the recordings that make me feel really emotional. I also like replaying the piece I am about to perform in my head, trying to imagine how I want every phrase to sound.