Meet the musician: Darya Zonoozi
Darya Zonoozi is a cellist presently residing in Toronto. She has recently completed her Bachelor of Fine Arts at York University for music performance. She has received many awards including the Imasco Performing Arts Award, and she was the winner of the Ontario Musical Festival Association in 2012 and 2013, and the winner of York University’s Concerto Competition in 2014. Darya has been the principal cellist for the York University Symphony Orchestra, the Toronto District Youth Orchestra and the Österreichische Kultur Forum, and the assistant principal cellist of the Koffler Chamber Orchestra.
1. When did you start playing your instrument?
I started paying when I was 12 years old!
2. Who is your biggest musical inspiration?
I would have to say Yo-Yo Ma, he inspired me to start the cello in the first place!
3. Who is your favourite composer?
I would have to say Bach, because I love his cello suites.
4. If you had to choose only 1 piece to listen to for the rest of your life, what piece would it be?
Pachelbel’s Canon. Just kidding, the Elgar Cello Concerto.
5. If you weren’t a musician, what would you be?
Hmm… I don’t know what I would be because I love to constantly try new things! I guess I would be an agent of some sorts? Or a manager? Definitely somewhere in the business field I would say.
6. What are some of your non-music related pastimes/hobbies?
I love to work out my abs!
7. What is your life motto?
Live, love, laugh :)
8. What advice would you give your younger self?
Practise more! I don’t think I practised enough as a child!
9. What piece/song can you not stand?
I don’t know if this counts as a song, but I cannot stand that nyan cat thing that was a big meme a few years ago.
10. What is your pre-concert routine?
I do a few yoga exercises! I just think yoga is such a great way to relax and get in the right mind set. Everyone should try it!